The Everyday Ageism Project

The Everyday Ageism Project aims to capture people’s everyday experiences of ageism. Research by EURAGE shows that across the European region, ageism is the most commonly experienced form of prejudice, yet relatively little is known about how it is experienced, who experiences it and the situations which may leave people vulnerable to age discrimination.

By providing a safe forum for people to anonymously share their experiences, the project aims to understand the consequences of ageism and the ways that age discrimination can affect people’s everyday lives. We also wish to encourage people to share their stories to show that ageism does exist and that it is a valid problem worth discussing.


Pages

Monday 29 April 2013

Can Maintaining a Youthful Appearance Reduce Ageism?


Woman feels that Botox is necessary to remain to be viewed positively by others

“[My experience of ageism involves] constantly being given the cold shoulder, ignored, condescended to and excluded [by younger females in their 30s]. This is not an isolated incident, but on-going. I am still trying to determine whether it is ageism or whether it is just dislike or bullying.

[This makes me feel] sad, upset, excluded, not part of the family, not good enough, not wanted, not approved, annoyed, angry. 

[Consequently] I am not looking forward to ageing and want to do all I can to maintain youthful appearance, through holistic well being (and, maybe Botox down the line). My partner is happy with the way I look and does not want me to do this. But if they didn't know how old I am, (and, I do not look my age and could pass for 10 years younger) .... [perhaps ageism would be reduced].”

No comments:

Post a Comment