The Everyday Ageism Project

The Everyday Ageism Project aims to capture people’s everyday experiences of ageism. Research by EURAGE shows that across the European region, ageism is the most commonly experienced form of prejudice, yet relatively little is known about how it is experienced, who experiences it and the situations which may leave people vulnerable to age discrimination.

By providing a safe forum for people to anonymously share their experiences, the project aims to understand the consequences of ageism and the ways that age discrimination can affect people’s everyday lives. We also wish to encourage people to share their stories to show that ageism does exist and that it is a valid problem worth discussing.


Pages

Tuesday 28 May 2013

An “Excellent Track Record” Overlooked because of Age

58 year old tells how Age and Applications dont mix in Australia


“I am constantly ignored for employment in positions that I am well qualified for. When you don’t put your age on an application the company will not accept the application or will ask why you don’t want to complete the document. One recent website gave a list of possible answers with the option “DONT WANT TO” as if I was acting like a child by refusing to reveal my age. No employment agency will ever respond to my applications even though I have an excellent track record in my industry. It is like I died when the number reached a certain point in my lifecycle. I am clean living with a sharp mind which makes the insult very hard to take.

When you push through to the H.R department and if they pick up the phone one of the first things they ask is what is your age? When they hear the answer they change the tone of their voice and quickly move the conversation towards a close with false promises.

When it keeps happening over and over again the feeling it leaves you with is beyond commenting on... I have lost faith in this world”

No comments:

Post a Comment